Welcome to Historical RFA
In 1949 RFA Wave Governor, while on passage in the Timor Sea, was passing to the south-eastward of Cartier Islet when they discovered a previously unreported bank and thus signalled its location to the Royal Australian Navy.
The Bulawayo Cup was originally one of a series of trophies presented to HMS Bulawayo by the citizens of Zimbabwe’s (then known as Rhodesia) second city, when the captured German tanker “Nordmark” was commissioned into the Royal Navy and eventually re-named HMS Bulawayo.
On 2 February 1998 the Helicopter Training and Primary Casualty Receiving ship RFA Argus raced to the rescue of the Spanish ship “Delfin Del Mediterraneo” which had sunk in a storm, 248 miles south west of Cape St. Vincent at 34° 34'N – 13° 04'W. The ship launched her helicopters and despite waves of up to 40 feet, managed to rescue twelve Spanish sailors from the ship. Two other crew members were lost.
On 21 April 1951 the Naval Armaments Vessel Bedenham sailed from Bull Point Naval Armaments Depot, Plymouth loaded with approximately 790 tons of depth charges, ammunition and other ordnance for Gibraltar and Malta.