RFA Teakol (1)

RFA Teakol 2

 

Previous name:
Subsequent name:                San Dario  

Official Number:                     142290                                               

Class:                                      SECOND 1000t CREOSOL CLASS Harbour Oiler

Pennant No:                            X70

Laid down:

Builder:                                    Short Brothers, Pallion

Launched:                               17 August 1917     
Into Service:                            January 1918      
Out of service:                         1920
Fate:                                         Broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  On the outbreak of WW1, the Admiralty embarked on a further programme of tanker construction for the newly-formed RFA Service. Eventually there were eighteen ships in this Class, twelve of which were named after trees with the OL suffix, while the remainder had names connected with the oil industry also with the OL suffix. Four of the Class were diesel engined and were sold after the Armistice but the rest, being triple expansion steamers, had long and successful lives

 

29 July 1917 Engineer Lieutenant C Newton RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer. He was demobilised 29 July 1919

17 August 1917 launched by Short Bros & Co Ltd, Sunderland as Yard Nr 412 named TEAKOL (1)

1 December 1917 Lieutenant Sidney J Twyman RNR appointed in command. He remain in command until 1 March 1918 when he was appointed to RFA Petrella on 18 March 1918.

31 January 1918 Donkeyman Bertie John Nugent Ketteringham MMR 92723 discharged to Chatham Hospital. He had signed on on 1 January 1918. He died in the Seaman's Hospital, Greenwich on 3 July 1918 of pneumonia and is buried in the Greenwich Royal Naval Cemetery

Kettteringham

 Courtesy and © of The War Graves Photographic Project

7 February 1918 Able Seaman Edward Hepburn logged as deserting from the ship. He had signed on the ship on 1 January 1918

1 March 1918 Lieutenant Frederick F Hazell RNR appointed in Command - he was demobilized on 25 September 1919

 HAZELL FREDERICK

Lieutenant Frederick F Hazell RNR

24 July 1918  Second Officer John Collins RFA appeared before a Court Martial charged with (a) being found drunk on board and (b) did use threatening language to his superior officer. The accused pleaded Guilty to both offences and he was sentenced to be severely reprimanded and to be dismissed his ship

7 January 1919 at Rosyth alongside HMS TORCH refuelling her with 7 tons of FFO

HMS Torch

HMS TORCH

5 May 1919 Engineer Lieutenant David  E Morgan RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

CEO David E Morgan

Engineer Lieutenant David E Morgan RNR

14 March 1919 Sub-Lieutenant Frederick Thomson Douglas RNR, aged 40, discharged dead. He was killed when he fell while attempting to board a moving train at Platform 2, Queens Street Railway Station, Glasgow when returning to his ship which was berthed at Burntisland, Fife. Seven carriages past over him before the train could be stopped. He had signed on on 18 December 1917. He was buried at East Kilbride Cemetery, Lanarkshire in grave H 521

 

DouglasFT_TEakol

 

14 April 1919 Greaser Francis McConville and Greaser George W Hodgson MMR 881803 (also known as Hunter) both logged as deserting from the ship. McConville had signed on the ship on the 25 July 1918 and Hodgson had signed on the ship on the 18 December 1918 having previously served on RFA's KURUMBA and SLAVOL

Trimmer Hunter

Greaser George W Hodgson MMR 881803

5 June 1919 at Rosyth alongside HMS CASTOR refuelling her

18 June 1919 at Rosyth alongside HMS VINDICTIVE refuelling her with 37 tons FFO

Vindictive

HMS VINDICTIVE

23 June 1919 at Rosyth alongside HMS VINDICTIVE refuelling her with 55 tons FFO

8 July 1919 at Rosyth alongside HMS CASTOR refuelling her

August 1919 Engineer Lieutenant George McA Brown RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

15 August 1919 Greaser Robert McMorran logged as deserting. He had signed on on 19 May 1919

25 September 1919 Chief Officer Rutherford Dodds RFA promoted to Captain and took command. He remain in command until 4 March 1920. He had signed on originally on the 11 June 1919

Captain R DODDS

Captain Rutherford Dodds RFA

14 November 1919 Engineer Lieutenant John W Mould RNR appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

17 November 1919 at Rosyth with HMS CASTOR alongside refuelling her with 120 tons of FFO

29 January 1920 sold to Shell Tankers (Eagle Oil) renamed "San Dario" and ceased to be an RFA

November 1922 re-engined with 2 x T. 3 cyl 9½” 15½” & 26” x 18” by Ailsa Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Troon. 85 nhp. Speed 7 knots. Twin screws

11 April 1923 sailed Southampton

16 April 1923 sailed Granton for Thameshaven

9 August 1923 arrived at Skerryvore, Belfast from London

7 July 1924 arrived at Plymouth

25 July 1924 sailed Plymouth

7 November 1924 Captain Harry Young Third discharged dead - natural causes - heart failure. Captain H Y Third had served as Master on a number of RFA's during and just after World War 1

5 May 1925 arrived at Aberdeen from Thameshaven

3 June 1926 berthed at Hull from Shellhaven with a cargo of motor spirit

24 August 1926 berthed at Aberdeen from Hull with a cargo of motor spirit

7 November 1926 berthed at Aberdeen from Rosyth

10 November 1926 berthed at Granton

29 November 1926 sailed Granton to Rosyth

4 March 1927 berthed at Granton from Thameshaven

28 July 1927 arrived at Jarrow, River Tyne from Hull

26 August 1927 the Essex Chronicle reported -

Grays Mag Court Press report 1927

4 April 1928 sailed Aberdeen

1 May 1928 berthed at Granton from Aberdeen

14 February 1929 sailed Hull for Jarrow in ballast

30 April 1929 berthed at Hull from London with a cargo of fuel oil

1930 owners restyled as Eagle Oil & Shipping Co Ltd, London

11 February 1930 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard sailing west

18 March 1930 in collision with motor steamer Adlington Court while berthing at Jarrow. Both vessels suffered damage

22 April 1931 sailed Hull for London with a cargo of creosote

15 September 1932 arrived at Avonmouth to load cargo

10 November 1935 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard sailing east

17 December 1935 sailed Avonmouth Docks for Belfast

9 March 1936 berthed at Avonmouth Docks for bunkers

20 November 1936 while weatherbound at anchor at Milford Haven and in ballast was hit by a trawler 'Thomas Deas' and was holed in no: 5 tank, port side

2 February 1937 at Avonmouth Docks arrived from Swansea

23 May 1939 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard sailing east

Spent most of her World War 2 service on 'inland' water work from Liverpool on the Manchester ship canal with very occasional voyages to Avonmouth, Holyhead, Stornoway, Milford Haven, Cork, Dublin, Belfast, Kyle of Loch Alsh and Old Kilpatrick on the Clyde

4 April 1940 in refit at Liverpool

6 February 1941 in refit at Liverpool

13 April 1941 as San Dario sailed the Clyde in convoy WN114 to Methil arriving on 16 April 1941

30 March 1945 in collision with the BI ship Chupra in the Irish Sea

20 January 1950 berthed at Avonmouth from Heysham

30 January 1950 berthed at Avonmouth from Heysham

2 February 1950 arrived at Heysham from Avonmouth

30 September 1957 broken up at Grays, Essex by T.W. Ward Ltd

 

Notes:

 

She had to be re-engined as Lloyds refused to classify the Swedish machinery and ultimately the Admiralty refunded £54,000 to the Eagle Oil Transport Co Ltd, who nonetheless retained the ship!

 

 

RFA Teakol (2)

RFA Teakol
 
 

 

Official Number                      181547                                                                          

Class:                                      1500t  OL CLASS Harbour Tanker

Pennant No:                            X 294 / A167

Laid down:                              27 May 1946

Builder:                                    Lobnitz & Co, Renfrew

Launched:                               14 November 1946
Into Service:                            14 January 1947
Out of service:                         1969
Fate:                                         Broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:   There were 4 ships in this Class, all Admiralty-designed as harbour oilers. A fifth vessel, the ex-German LISELOTTE ESSBERGERwhich had been captured at Trondheim in April 1945 and was taken as a War Prize, was handed over to the MOWT and was renamed EMPIRE TEGYIKA. In 1947 she was transferred to the Admiralty and was renamed THORNOL, but remained under commercial management and was never RFA-manned

 

27 September 1944 ordered

27 May 1946 laid down

14 November 1946 launched by Lobnitz & Co, Renfrew as Yard Nr 1093 named TEAKOL

9 December 1946 Captain Donovan J S Newton MID RFA appointed as Master

14 January 1947 completed

26 April 1947 sailed the Hawthorne Leslie, River Tyne for Rosyth

20 July 1947 Mr F Johnstone RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

3 November 1947 Captain Arthur E Craze RFA appointed as Master

 

A_E_Craze

Captain Arthur E Craze RFA
courtesy Graham Henshaw

 

7 June 1948 Captain John Mc Angus RFA appointed as Master

Capt John Mc Angus

Captain John Mc Angus RFA

15 August 1948 at Sheerness Able Seaman Wilfred Taylor discharged dead - missing presumed drowned

20 September 1948 at Portland alongside HMS JUTLAND refuelling her

29 October 1948 Mr E A H Chantler RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

21 November 1948 passed Lloyds Signal Station, Lizard sailing east bound

13 June 1949 berthed at Dundee from Rosyth to load cargo

17 June 1949 sailed Dundee for Rosyth

1 March 1950 arrived the River Tyne from Plymouth

3 March 1950 sailed the River Tyne for Plymouth

10 March 1950 Mr Arthur L Barr RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

 

Arthur_L_Barr

Chief Engineer Officer Arthur L Barr RFA

 

23 September 1950 moored alongside the oil hulk Valiant at Wilcove when the 3rd Engineer Officer saw a man removing lead pipe from the Valiant. Subsequently two men, one the watchmen from the Valiant, appeared at Torpoint Magistrates' Court charged with larceny and malicious damage. They pleaded Guilty. One man, a recidivist, was sentenced to 3 months imprisonment and the other was fined £10

16 October 1950 Captain James H Chant RFA appointed as Master

17 November 1950 Mr J B Russell OBE RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

13 December 1950 Captain William F Curlett RFA appointed as Master

12 September 1951 Captain H R Davies RFA appointed as Master

24 October 1951 Mr Wallace G Downing RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

20 February 1952 at Chatham alongside HMS PLYM refuelling her - 97 tons

12 March 1952 at Chatham alongside HMS PLYM refuelling her - approximately 500 tons supplied

13 May 1952 arrived at the River Tyne from Rosyth

3 August 1952 Captain J W Cunningham RFA appointed as Master

20 February 1953 Mr S Turner RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

27 July 1953 Captain J Coull RFA appointed as Master

15 September 1953 Mr J J Moore RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

29 May 1954 Captain F S Samson RFA appointed as Master

3 July 1954 Mr Thomas L Morton RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

4 February 1955 Mr T B Willis RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

9 March 1955 at Harwich with HMS ODDURATE alongside being refuelled

18 April 1955 Captain Iorwerth B Roberts RFA appointed as Master

6 October 1955 off Sheerness Dockyard off loaded FFO from HMS SUPERB before this cruiser entered Chatham Dockyard for refit.

12 March 1956 Mr R J Brown RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

23 August 1956 Captain George Baker RFA appointed as Master

28 October 1957 Mr W J Plastow RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

1 January 1958 Captain Archibald M M Telfer RFA appointed as Master

6 June 1958 Mr F A Ford RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

15 May 1959 Captain Basil V Dobbie RFA appointed as Master

8 July 1960 Captain E D J Evans RFA appointed as Master

13 June 1961 Captain C G D Barker RFA appointed as Master

23 November 1962 Captain P J McCarthy RFA appointed as Master

14 January 1963 Mr A P V Falzon RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

25 April 1963 Captain J Gulessarian RFA appointed as Master

27 July 1964 Mr P W Scott RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer

3 September 1964 Captain G O W Evans DSC RFA appointed as Master

1965 laid up at Devonport

12 July 1969 offered for sale by the Admiralty in The Times  at the same time as RFA Oakol and RFA Birchol.  All three ships were lying at Devonport Dockyard and were offered 'as is'

20 September 1969 sailed Devonport in tow

22 September 1969 arrived for breaking up at Antwerp by Jos de Smedt

 

Notes:

 

1. Spent her entire service in Home Waters

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.