RFA Salventure

RFA Salventure

RFA Salventure

 

 

Sotir-01

SALVENTURE_754

 

 

Previous name:                        Handmaid
Subsequent name:                   Sotir     

Official Number:                       168741                                                          

Class:                                      King Salvor Class Ocean Salvage Shipl

Pennant No:                            A384    

Laid down:                              11 October 1941
Builder:                                   Simons, Renfrew
Launched:                               24 November 1942

Into Service:                            18 December 1942
Out of service:                         1948
Fate:                                       Broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  There were originally 13 ships in this Admiralty-designed Class, 12 of which saw service as RFA’s. The final unit in the Class was completed as a Submarine Rescue Vessel under the White Ensign. All were basically similar and were used as Ocean Salvage Ships. They had a complement of 72 and during wartime were armed with 4 x 20 mm AA guns.

 

11 October 1941 laid down as HANDMAID

July 1942 renamed SALVENTURE

24 November 1942 launched by Wm Simons & Co Ltd, Renfrew as Yard Nr 754

18 December 1942 completed and placed under management of Risdon Beazeley Ltd, Southampton

3 January 1943 sailed Milford Haven in convoy KX 8 which dispersed at 5.47N 15.23W on the 21 January

1 May 1943 arrived at Phillipville

13 May 1943 together with RFA KING SALVOR and escorted by HMS SHIANT and HMS INCHMARNOCK sailed to Bizerta loaded with Baloon Squadrons 894 and 981, Royal Air Force and their equipment. The ships were protected by fighter protection

October 1943 at Malta

13 June 1944 sailed Augusta in convoy VN 46 which arrived at Naples the next day

20 June 1944 at Naples alongside USS Extricate in berth 10

24 January 1946 sailed Malta to salvage the Italian Troop Transport GRADISCA being operated by MOWT on the Medloc Scheme which had run aground Korphe Bay, Island of Gavdo 20 miles south of Cape Mouros, Crete. The ship was sailing from Port Said to Toulon via Malta when 60 miles off course she grounded on 23 January 1946. 1,215 British troops were on board together with women and children. The tugs HMS BRIGAND and HMS CAPTIVE also stood by. The GRADISCA was not refloated until 9 July 1947

1950 transferred to the Greek Navy and renamed RHN SOTIR

1978 purchased for scrap by Katimertzeglou Bros, Perama

November 1978 Broken up at Greece

Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2014 Christopher J White