San, Lee - Fireman who died this day - RFA Wave Sovereign 1961.
Alfred, Wood - Able Seaman who died this day - RFA Tideflow 1960.
Joseph, McGarry - Assistant Steward who died this day - RFA Earner 1955.
RFA C642 in Admiralty Service
RFA 642 after being sold out of Service renamed 'Clanity' and converted to a tanker
Subsequent name: CLANITY
Official Number 181548
Class: Coal lighter
Pennant No: X126 / A201
Builder: Yarwood, Northwich
Launched: 2 July 1946
Into Service: December 1946
Out of service: Sold out of service
Fate: Broken up
Items of historic interest involving this ship: -
Background Data: Naval Stores harbour craft were usually allocated a number bearing the prefix C. This descended from the days when the Coaling Officer operated the fuelling craft and many of these craft were operated by the Naval Stores Department under the Director of Stores (Navy) C numbers were allocated to craft such as dumb barges, coal lighters, dumb coal lighters, self-propelled diesel lighters, self-propelled stores lighters, launches and tugs of which a number were registered as RFA’s and wore the ‘green stripe’ that indicated the Naval Stores Department
2 July 1945 Launched by W. J. Yarwood & Sons (1938) Ltd, Northwich as Yard Nr 774 named C 642 for the Naval Stores Department
December 1946 completed
11 January 1947 Mr W J Robinson RFA appointed as Chief Engineer Officer
18 January 1947 Captain F T Cooke RFA appointed as Master
1956 on the disposal list at Sheerness
May 1956 sold to F.T.Everard & Sons Ltd and the name was changed to CLANITY
5 July 1956 notice of change of name given in The Times of this day to 'Clanity'
1958 converted into a tanker and to oil fuel burning with tonnages now 495 grt 224 nrt 600 dwt and dimensions now 171’06” x 28’03” x 10’04½
September 1969 sold for demolition by Scrappingco S.A.at Antwerp
11 September 1969 breaking up at Antwerp began