No Image

Currently

Available

 

 

Official No:                             118491

Builder:                          Bartram & Sons Ltd., South Dock, Sunderland

Launched:                      11 August 1904

Pennant No:                           Y 3.817 / F 106

Into Service:                   28 July 1915

Out of service:                1918

Fate:                             6 January 1933 broken up

 

Items of historic interest involving this ship: -

 

Background Data:  One of an additional group of ships requisitioned by the Admiralty during WW1 to augment the ships of the RFA

 

Career Data:

11 August 1904 launched by Bartram & Sons Ltd., South Dock, Sunderland as Yard No: 194 named Abaris for Overseas Transport Co Ltd., (J S Pyman Ltd., Manager) London

April 1904 completed

26 March 1906 at 9º.35N 27º.42W Ordinary Seaman Samson Harrison discharged dead from burns

5 June 1906 at 39º 38N 11º 48W 2nd Mate James Rourke discharged dead from typhoid fever

1 December 1911 at 43º 16N 45º 06W Fireman John Martin discharged dead - wash overboard and drowned

6 January 1912 Able Seaman William Smith discharged dead found drowned in South West Indian Dock, Poplar

21 November 1914 in dry dock at Cardiff

13 December 1914 arrived Port Said from Cardiff

4 May 1915 arrived at Buenos Ayres from Barry

17 May 1915 at the British Hospital, Buenos Ayres Fireman Christian Bogh discharged dead from nephritis

20 July 1915 arrived at London from Bahia Blanca

28 July 1915 requisitioned for Admiralty service as a Collier - name unchanged  until 25 October 1916

2 March 1916 at Alexandrosk with a working party from HMS IPHIGENIA collecting stores

3 March 1916 at Alexandrosk with a working party from HMS IPHIGENIA loading stores onboard

8 May 1916 at the Kola Inlet alongside the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS ARLANZA (M93) to supply number coal

9 May 1916 supplied 138 tons of bunker coal to HMS ARLANZA

10 May 1916 supplied 133 tons of bunker coal to HMS ARLANZA

11 May 1916 supplied 130 tons of bunker coal to HMS ARLANZA

12 May 1916 supplied 110 tons of bunker coal to HMS ARLANZA

13 May 1916 supplied 116 tons of bunker coal to HMS ARLANZA

15 May 1916 supplied 129 tons of bunker coal to HMS ARLANZA

16 May 1916 supplied 44 tons of bunker coal to HMS ARLANZA - coaling completed

September 1916 purchased by Gascony Steamship Co Ltd., (L Watford (London) Ltd., Manager) London - name unchanged

26 October 1916 served as a collier to Northern Russia for Russian Government a/c

13 December 1916 re-deployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying cross - Channel hay until 22 January 1917

23 January 1917 re-deployed on French Government service as a Transport carrying shell steel until 22 February 1917

23 February 1917 re-deployed as an Expeditionary Force Transport carrying cross - Channel forage until 1918

17 November 1917 off the Eddystone Lighthouse 1st Engineer Officer William Fraser, Donkeyman George Maeridis and Fireman Abdulla Hamid each discharged dead from a torpedo explosion. The ship was towed to Falmouth and beached

1 January 1919 at Dunkirk Roads 1st Mate Evan H Owen discharged dead - disappeared

7 January 1924 at Newport 2nd Engineer Officer Robert Buchanan discharged dead from natural causes

16 July 1928 at 47º 03N 04º 22W Able Seaman Charles Webber discharged dead - reported missing presumed drowned

1928 purchased by Soc. Anon. Peches Australes, Le Havre and renamed Austral

1930 purchased by Cia. Generale des Illes de Kerguelen, St. Paul's & Amsterdam, Le Harve - name unchanged

6 January 1933 arrived Ghent for demolition by Van Heyghen Freres

 

 

 

Copyright © 2008 – 2017 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.