Previous name:
Subsequent name:   

Official Number            

Class:                                                   GATLING CLASS Armament Stores Carrier

Pennant No:                                          A 395

Laid down:                                            1945
Builder:                                                 Lobnitz & Co Ltd, Renfrew
Launched:                                             5 September 1945
Into Service:                    
Out of service:                                       23 September 1969

Fate:                                                    Scrapped February 1970


Items of historic interest involving this ship: -


Background Information: - One of a group of five coasters which were not normally classed as RFA’s They are included here as the ancestors of the more modern ammunition ships These five ships were designed by the Director of Naval Construction to the requirements of the Naval Armament Department. They were designed for Pacific Operations to carry ammunition from larger ships offshore which were of too deep a draught to go close inshore to the coastal areas or small harbours and had their bottoms strengthened to permit grounding when loaded if required. This was a 1943 plan connected with a future invasion of Japan. As there was no requirement to carry large naval guns they were provided with two cargo holds. The order for them was placed in October 1944 and none of them was completed before the end of hostilities, which meant that only one of them (GATLING) was needed to proceed to the Far east to assist in the rehabilitation of Singapore. GATLING and NORDENFELT were completed to mercantile standards and were registered and classed with Lloyds Register and were run on National Maritime Board conditions, while the other three were on “Yard Craft” Dockyard agreements and were completed with naval style accommodation.



5 September 1945  launched by Lobnitz & Co Ltd, Renfrew as Yard Nr 1087 named ENFIELD

December 1945 completed with naval-type accommodation

8 March 1946 berthed at Dundee from Fort William

30 April 1946 berthed at Dundee from Crombie

12 May 1946 berthed at Dundee from Fort William

14 May 1946 sailed Dundee to Fort William

21 June 1946 sailed Dundee to Fort William

3 July 1946 berthed at Dundee from Corpach

4 July 1946 sailed Dundee to Corpach

17 July 1946 berthed at Dundee from Invergordon

1 August 1946 berthed at Dundee from Crombie

21 December 1948 while dumping old ammunition off May Island in the Forth some exploded causing slight damage to the ship

 Press report Enfield

Press report from the Evening Telegraph of 21 December 1948

19 November 1949 passed the Lloyds Signal Station on the Lizard sailing east

12 July 1953 responded to an SOS and found the dismasted motor yacht Owen Roe in thick mist off the Mull of Kintyre. took the yacht in tow for 5.5 miles from the Mull to the Sound of Islay saving the crew 

23 September 1969 sold for scrap

February 1970 arrived Inverkeithing for demolition by T.W. Ward Ltd




  1. Based at Naval Armaments Depot, Crombie between 1946 to 1959


Additional information

Copyright © 2008 – 2018 Christopher J White

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website, by continuing to use the site you agree to cookies being used. More info.