Requisitioned Auxiliary - Mirlo
Built by: Armstrong & Co Ltd, Newcastle Completed: 1922
Manager: Wilh, Wilhelmsen, Tonsburg
Tonnage: 7455 grt, 4415 nett, 11,334 dwt
Length: 441 feet
Beam: 57.5 feet
Draught: 34.1 feet
Machinery: Triple expansion engine
Speed: 10.5 knots
In Admiralty Service (Royal Fleet Auxiliary) from 1940
Mirlo was sailing independently from Curacao, via Trinidad to Freetown with a cargo of 10,500 tons of fuel oil, when she was torpedoed by U 130 (Korvettan Kapitan Ernst Kals), at 14:27 hrs on the 11 August 1942.
The ship was about 870 miles west of Freetown in position 06º 04’ N 25º 53’ W when the attack happened, all the crew of 30 Norwegian, 2 Canadian, 1 Spanish and 3 British Seamen survived the attack.