Requisitioned Auxiliary - Malmanger
Built by: Sir James Laing and Sons Ltd. Completed: 1920
Manager: Westfal-Larsen & Co, A/S
Tonnage: 7078 grt, 10,925 dwt
Length: 425 feet
Beam: 57 feet
Draught: 33.1 feet
Machinery: Triple expansion engine
Speed: 11 knots
In Admiralty Service (Royal Fleet Auxiliary) from 1940
Malmanger left Trinidad on the 29 July 1942 on passage to Pointe Noir with a cargo of fuel oil in convoy E.5, until the convoy dispersed and the ship continued independently.
At 22:37 hrs on 9 August she was torpedoed by U 130 at position 07º 13’N 26º 30’W, the U boat fired two torpedoes, both of which struck home and the ship sank by the stern in approximately 5 mins. Two members of the crew were killed in the attack, the rest managed to get away in the ships boats, however the U Boat surfaced and took the Captain and 1st Engineer as prisoners.
On board this vessel were 24 Norwegian, 5 British, 1 Irish and 1 Canadian seamen.